From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Impossible question... Swithcing from "no multilib" to "multilib"
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:10:35
1 On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 6:37 AM, Andrea Momesso
2 <momesso.andrea@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > I still have adobe flash 10.0.45.2-r2 installed, but I understand it has serius
4 > security problems, and I had to mask all higher versions.
5
6 I think given the track record of security problems in flash player
7 (and java and firefox and everything else, it seems...) just
8 connecting to WWW you're accepting a certain level of risk in the
9 first place. Just because security problems have not been announced
10 for the newer versions doesn't mean they don't exist (we thought every
11 previous version was safe,too -- the world didn't end)
12
13 I think most of the security problems they fix are typically
14 theoretical and I'm not sure about any widespread actual exploit of
15 flash player, especially targeted at a beta 64-bit linux version of
16 flash player that probably 0.001% of web surfers are using.
17
18 If you only run flash from trustworthy sources I think there's minimal
19 risk. But that's just my opinion.