From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ebuild hacking howto
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 09:07:16
1 On Saturday 26 February 2011 00:43:43 Mark Shields wrote:
2
3 > Saw that you linked to the "creating an updated ebuild" from gentoo-wiki,
4 >
5 > so what I say may overlay quite a bit, but hear me out:
6 >
7 > It depends on how the ebuild is built. If it references the version by the
8 > ebuild file name, which is very common, you can create an overlay for the
9 > ebuild, copy the ebuild to it, rename the ebuild file to have the new
10 > version number as part of it, digest the ebuild, make sure the overlay is
11 > listed in your make.conf file, then try to emerge it. I did this with
12 > Webmin. Yes, I know it's masked and new versions have effectively been
13 > dropped from portage; but I use it, and it worked fine.
14
15 Not related to the OP's question, but couldn't stop myself from asking:
16
17 Why is/was webmin dropped from portage?
18
19 I saw bug 348432 for webmin-1.530, but other than offering an ebuild it didn't
20 say.
21 --
22 Regards,
23 Mick