From: deface <deface@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network configuration: looking up URLs is very slow; how can I fix this?
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 01:16:21
1 I use opendns.com - take a peep at it, very highly recommended.
2
3 deface
6 On Sep 12, 2008, at 1:47 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
7
8 > Hi, Gentoo!
9 >
10 > I bought a new hard drive on Wednesday, and am seriously getting
11 > Gentoo
12 > installed (after doing a trial installation in July).
13 >
14 > However.... looking up URL's is very, very slow. This is most
15 > noticeable when running emerge. It is very also noticeable running
16 > Firefox; the looking up is _much_ slower than on my existing Debian
17 > sarge system.
18 >
19 > Presumably, I need to configure some sort of DNS cache, or proxy, or
20 > whatever it might be called. I've looked in
21 > <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/>, but couldn't find a network
22 > configuration
23 > manual there.
24 >
25 > Would somebody give me a pointer, please? Thanks!
26 >
27 > --
28 > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
29 >