From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 07:40:11
1 On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 6:40 AM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 2:14 PM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> On Thu, February 20, 2014 06:34, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 3:00 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
5 >>>> On Tue, February 18, 2014 18:12, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> [ snip ]
8 >>>
9 >>>>> Of course the larger a project is the *potential* number of bugs
10 >>>>> increases, but so what? With enough developers, users and testers, all
11 >>>>> bugs are *potentially* squashed.
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Agreed, but I know of enough large projects with large development teams
14 >>>> and even more users that don't get the most basic bugs fixed.
15 >>>> Quantity is not equivalent to Quality.
16 >>>
17 >>> I also agree with that. My point is that the systemd project has
18 >>> enough numbers of *talented* developers to do it.
19 >>>
20 >>> You can disagree, of course.
21 >>
22 >> Talented developer, maybe.
23 >> But not talented designers.
24 >
25 > That's subjective. For me (and many others), the design of systemd is sound.
26 >
27 >>>>> And systemd has a *much* wider community than any other init system.
28 >>>>> So it can handle a larger code base.
29 >>>>
30 >>>> Incorrect. How many people use systemd as opposed to SysV Init?
31 >>>
32 >>> Users? Like five thousand godzillions more.
33 >>
34 >> I tend to disagree.
35 >
36 > I meant that SysV has like five thousand godzillions more that
37 > systemd. Sorry for the confussion.
38 >
39 >> Systemd is ONLY on Linux.
40 >> SysV init can be found on alot of other platforms used in the world. Think
41 >> Solaris, AIX, HPuX and Linux machines that have not had their init-systems
42 >> changed.
43 >>
44 >>> Developers? It would not surprise me that systemd has several times
45 >>> more developers that SysV ever had.
46 >>
47 >> Maybe, but the developers back then still followed the unix-way: Have a
48 >> tool do one job and do it well.
49 >
50 > Again, for many of us that doesn't matter, and we don't take it like
51 > an article of faith.
52 >
53 >> From what I see from systemd, it tries to do too much and the single jobs
54 >> suffer from feature-bloat.
55 >
56 > Many of us believe they solve real problems, and they make our life easier.
57 >
58 >>> What's more, I think those developers are talented enough, to say the
59 >>> least.
60 >>
61 >> I miss talented designers.
62 >
63 > Wonder why?
64 >
65 >>>>>>> > SysVinit code size is about 10 000 lines of code, OpenRC contains
66 >>>>>>> > about 13 000 lines, systemd  about 200 000 lines.
67 >>>>>>>
68 >>>>>>> If you take into account the thousands of shell code that SysV and
69 >>>>>>> OpenRC need to fill the functionality of systemd, they use even more.
70 >>>>
71 >>>> The shell-code is proven to work though and provided with most of the
72 >>>> software. Where it isn't provided, it can be easily created.
73 >>>> I have seen (and used) complex start-up scripts for large software
74 >>>> implementations which complex dependencies.
75 >>>> Fortunately, later versions of those software packages have fixed that
76 >>>> mess to a large extend, but I wonder how well systemd unit-files can
77 >>>> work
78 >>>> in such an environment.
79 >>>
80 >>> You can read [1]. I think it provides a fair and impartial account of
81 >>> how to use systemd to start a complex service (NFS, by its author).
82 >>
83 >> I would not class NFS as a complex service.
84 >> I am talking about a dozen different services that need to be started in a
85 >> specific order where the next one is not allowed to start before the
86 >> previous one actually responds to TCP/IP connections.
87 >
88 > If you had read the link, you would have learned that NFS has 14 unit
89 > files, form a lot of daemons that have to run in concurrent form (and
90 > some of them only when others are not, etc.) It *IS* a complex
91 > service.
92 >
93 >> How would I configure that in systemd unit-files?
94 >
95 > Read the link
96
97 Canek, you're too polite.
98
99 This deserves a /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ManagementStyle, chapter 5
100 reply. At my risk entirely, here is one:
101
102 You ignorant nitwit.
103
104 Read the fine link. Read the fine docs. Read the fine manual. Read the
105 fine publicly
106 posted rationales. Read the fine publicly held distro and package manager
107 discussions. And know what a fine socket is before you start spouting
108 your diarrhea crap about spawning sockets in advance.
109
110 And if you don't, here's the thing, maybe you're not really familiar
111 with the "Unix
112 way" that you're so proud about. Because you don't get to skip all that and make
113 ridiculous sweeping generalizations and assertions that the docs DO answer.
114
115 The so-called Unix way that many of you peeps are waxing priest-like about
116 is in reality just one aspect, one part of the Unix way, meant to
117 apply to a particular
118 class of applications. It doesn't apply to everything.
119
120 Especially, text filter design does not apply to applications that are
121 meant for solving genuinely complex problems - the kernel itself is a glaring
122 violation of the one small thing doing one thing well rule. And why? One,
123 because it uses that complexity to solve things that would be harder to do
124 in the minikernel approach, and two, even as the complex beast it has become
125 it's still simpler (read: Unixier) than the alternative solution of
126 interacting servers.
127
128 Even as the complex beast it has become systemd is still simpler than the
129 alternative of having abominations of unreliable shell scripts checking to see
130 which version of grep and sed is used to split the command line, or whether
131 the system uses tempfile or mktemp, or depending on perl.
132
133 ergo libreoffice. desktop environments. firefox. databases. Heck much of
134 what's being said about systemd applies to postfix - there's no general case
135 reason for me to grab some random postfix component and use it for everyday
136 work, therefore postfix is just some closed-source monolithic virus, right?
137 --
138 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
139 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
140 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none