From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage is proposing an ncurses update and I don't understand what it means
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 02:07:18
1 On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 10:53:00 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > walt wrote:
5 > > Thanks also to wabe and Fernando for your replies. Just for the
6 > > record I did the update this morning, which completed without
7 > > errors. qlop shows that both updates completed, but eix shows that
8 > > I now have only ncurses-5.9-r5 installed. (This is apparently the
9 > > desired result, but I'm only guessing what the desired result
10 > > really is.) I think every portage tool should announce very clearly
11 > > whether a package is slotted/subslotted, and exactly which slot and
12 > > subslot the package belongs in. The subject of slots is way too
13 > > confusing to withhold such information. If the devs can't explain
14 > > slots to their users then they don't understand it themselves. (Hm.
15 > > That phrase sounds familiar. Where did I get that?)
18 > I did this the other day, after skipping it several times while it got
19 > sorted out, and I have this now.
20 >
21 > [IP-] [ ] sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r5:0/5
22 > [IP-] [ ] sys-libs/ncurses-5.9-r99:5/5
25 > Now, which of us is somewhat off the mark here? :/
26
27 Both of us have been off the mark so many times I can't count that
28 high :p I'm going to come back tomorrow when I'm more awake and
29 re-read this entire thread because every reply so far is full of good
30 info and advice.
31
32 I'm assuming you did that ncurses update on some flavor of gentoo
33 "unstable"? (I know what a daredevil you are.)
34
35 Just for laughs, what does your "qlop -l ncurses" tell you about what
36 date you did the ncurses-5.9 update?