From: Samurai <samurai.no.dojo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Puzzling lvm2 behavior?
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 19:03:47
1 I do have 3 2tb drives with lvm2 on them recently I did resize some partitions (i didn't resize the vg - one drive one vg here) but I use lvresize -L ±nnG vg/lv to add exactly nn GB to desired lv an than online grow with resize2fs /dev/vg/lv
2
3 I did this more than once and never encountered any problem.
4 S
5
6 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
7
8 >I've never expanded an lvm partition before, and I think I did it the
9 >long way around just now:
10 >
11 >I divided my 1TB disk into 10 equal pv's when I bought it, and then
12 >added four of those to a new vg (named wd0), leaving the other six
13 >for future use.
14 >
15 >After a few months of filling up that partition I needed more room,
16 >of course, so I used vgextend to add a fifth pv to the existing vg.
17 >That worked fine, but now I had to extend the ext4 fs to fill all of
18 >the added new space.
19 >
20 >While googling I saw some advice to use resize2fs for that, but
21 >resize2fs said there is nothing to do on that fs and quit without
22 >doing anything.
23 >
24 >After some fumbling around I used lvextend -r -L nnnnn /dev/wd0/wd0,
25 >where nnnnn is the number of unused extents listed by pvdisplay.
26 >
27 >That (eventually) worked but each time I ran that command, only
28 >roughly half of the empty extents were added instead of the whole
29 >nnnnn of them. Took me about 10 iterations before all of the
30 >extents were finally added to the filesystem :-/
31 >
32 >So, did I use the wrong tools or in the wrong order, or what?
33 >It should have been easier than that, I think.
36 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.