From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: LC_ locale settings for UK / GB.
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 20:13:24
1 On 11 Jul 2009, at 19:35, walt wrote:
2
3 > On 07/10/2009 08:49 PM, ABCD wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> Because I'm seeing some strange things in this thread, let me
6 >> elucidate
7 >> as to what the various LANG/LC_* variables do:
8 >>
9 >> LANG
10 >> sets the default for LC_*, if unset, defaults to "C"
11 >>
12 >> LC_CTYPE [charset]
13 >> LC_NUMERIC [number format]
14 >> LC_TIME [time format]
15 >> LC_COLLATE [sort order]
16 >> LC_MONETARY [money format]
17 >> LC_MESSAGES [message language]
18 >> LC_PAPER [paper size]
19 >> LC_NAME [given/family name format]
20 >> LC_ADDRESS [mailing address format]
21 >> LC_TELEPHONE [country code, etc.]
22 >> LC_MEASUREMENT [US customary, SI, etc.]
23 >> LC_IDENTIFICATION [???]
24 >> Used as their names suggest, for the various things that can be
25 >> done with locales. Default to $LANG, if $LANG is unset, defaults
26 >> to "C".
27 >>
28 >> LC_ALL
29 >> Override for LC_*. If LC_ALL is set, then LC_* is ignored, and
30 >> the
31 >> value of LC_ALL is used for everything. *Do not* set this in
32 >> env.d
33 >> unless you know exactly what you are doing. (Setting LC_ALL=C to
34 >> disable all locale settings, for instance).
35 >
36 > Thanks for the clarification. The only reason I can think of for
37 > *not*
38 > setting LC_ALL is that some users on a multi-user system might want to
39 > use a different language. Am I missing something else important?
40
41 I'm reading this as to *only* set LANG instead. I'm assuming there are
42 occasions upon which a single program or package (at installation
43 time, or perhaps in a run script) may wish to over-ride only some of
44 the LC_* variables.
45
46 IE:
47