From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I update world?
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:44:36
1 On Wednesday 18 June 2008, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > This mess started before firefox-3.0.0 was released, but I have since
3 > upgraded.  I still get this complaint about 2.0.0.14.  I have
4 > demerged dev-haskell/gtk2hs, yet emerge -pev world still wants to
5 > drag it in (it shows as [  N ]) and that apparently wants to drag in
6 > the old firefox.
7 >
8 > I have edited /var/lib/portage/world and gtk2hs is not present.
9 > Firefox is present but has no version number.
10 >
11 > So, two questions:
12 >
13 >     How do I tell portage that gtk2hs is not part of world any more?
14
15 Wrong question. What you want to do is tell portage to not pull gtk2hs
16 in. That is happening more than likely because of some USE flag you
17 have enabled. So, unmerging it simply causes portage to pull it back in
18 with the next merge...
19
20 2 ways to find out:
21
22 1. equery depends gtk2hs
23 This method is not really reliable but works often enough
24 to be useful
25 2. emerge -avunDt world
26 This gives a nice tree view of what is going on. Note that more than
27 one package might want gtk2hs, so you might have to run this more
28 than once.
29
30 Finally, there is no need for you to run 'emerge -pev world' to find out
31 stuff. That fools portage into thinking nothing is obscured, everything
32 shows up as a new package and the differences upgrades, remerges and
33 new package is lost.
34
35 >     How do I clear these blockages so I can emerge -ev world?
36
37 If it's due to a USE flag (highly likely), remove the flag from USE
40 Alan McKinnon
41 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
44 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list