From: "Teodor Spæren" <teodor.spam@×××××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: Ram Problem!
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 19:46:07
1 > You may want to consider a swap file:
2 >
3 > http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-add-a-swap-file-howto/
4 I have already done this. I had some problems trying to compile gcc, so I learned it then.
5
6 > NB: I don't know how well it's going to help with Gentoo. It's been close to a
7 > decade, if not longer, since I've used a machine with such limits, and we only
8 > installed binary system to them. There is tinderbox for Gentoo, if that would
9 > help any at all: http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/
10 I don't know what tinderbox is, but I'll have to look it up. I thought that gentoo would be perfect for such an old system,
11 except for the long compile times :3
12
13 > With all due respect, Gentoo is the only distro using a Gentoo patched kernel.
14 > It's not really necessary, and NONE of the 8 comps in our shop runs any of the
15 > gentoo provided kernel sources. Just get the kernel.org of your choice and:
16 Yeah, that is what I thought! After doing an LFS install, I don't even know the benefit of the patched kernel.
17 >
18 > Change the version for whichever one you desire.
19 Thanks :) I use curl, but I guess it is the same with some command diffrence.
20
21 It seems that I have gotten the general idea. Since there are non who really can give me a reason it won't work
22 I will go for a vanilla kernel. Thanks so much for the helpful answers.
23
24 With best regards,
25 - TheRedMood