From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gtkpod won't start
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 18:44:48
1 On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 02:49:11 +0000 (UTC)
2 Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I only started googling $DISPLAY, but yes, it's the same user who
5 > started the X session. Normally I use GNOME, but will also try just
6 > X and KDE.
9 really? in your previous message you pasted:
10
11 >arrakis ~ # gtkpod
12 >(gtkpod:11857): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
13
14 did you start the X session as root?
15
16 it's important to differentiate between having permission to write to
17 an X display (xhost permits that) and knowing which display to write
18 to - $DISPLAY will be set to that if you're already in the 'X
19 environment' (it's an environment variable). However, if you su or
20 something, you'll no longer have that environment variable.
21
22 Generally speaking it should be set to ":0" which is equivilent to
23 "localhost:0.0" or localhost server, display 0, screen 0.
24
25 if I were in your position I would say:
26 $ DISPLAY=":0" gtkpod
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list