From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New profile 17: How urgent is the rebuild of world technically?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 02:44:54
1 On 12/02/2017 09:32 PM, Adam Carter wrote:
2 >
3 > Does having the hardened USE flag enabled = having a hardened toolchain?
4
5 If only it were that simple... what you really need to know is, did you
6 build everything on your system with PIE enabled?
7
8 * Some packages have "pie" USE flags, and it's only forced-on in the
9 hardened profiles. I think that flag may actually have been masked
10 in the default profiles?
11
12 * Even if you /built/ a hardened compiler, you can switch it off
13 with gcc-config.
14
15 * Your local flags in make.conf can disable some of that stuff, too.
16
17 If you were using a hardened *profile*, then chances are that you won't
18 need to rebuild (unless you switched to a non-hardened compiler on
19 purpose). Otherwise, I would play it safe and rebuild everything. The
20 newer GCC probably produces more efficient code anyway, and you will
21 preempt all of the inevitable problems that no one thought of and that
22 weren't mentioned in the news item.