From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 20:09:42
1 Pandu Poluan wrote:
4 > On Nov 26, 2011 12:05 AM, "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:markknecht@×××××.com>> wrote:
8 > > I'm exactly as you are WRT to LVM but I admired Dale for giving it a
9 > > shot and I'm sorta feeling like I gotta start learn it just to be part
10 > > of the group... ;-)
13 > Hey, not fair! Dale's got a headstart already with multi-partitions :-)
16 > In the meantime, before I have to rebuild, I'm going to learn me some
17 > LVM goodness...
18 >
19 > Rgds,
22 I have this on mine:
23
24 /
25 /boot
26 /home
27 /usr.portage
28 /var
29 /var/tmp/portage on tmpfs. Nice to have 16Gbs of ram. :-)
30
31 sda1 Primary ext2 [boot] 197.41
32 sda2 Primary swap [swap] 1003.49
33 sda3 Primary reiserfs [root] 20003.89
34 sda5 Logical ext3 [blank] 5000.98
35 sda6 Logical ext3 [portage] 12000.69
36 sda7 Logical reiserfs [home] 50001.48
37 sda8 Logical ext3 [var] 10001.95
40 Here is one thing to think about on LVM. If you put /usr on a separate
41 partition, you will need the init thingy, thanks to the dev at fedora.
42 Yea, lower case f just like lower case w for winders. Don't make me
43 spell it the way I want. There is a lady on this list. o_O Anyway, if
44 you are going to do /usr on a separate partition then you may as well
45 have LVM. You are going to have the init thingy anyway. You may as
46 well give the whole bit a try.
47
48 LVM has not really been a problem other than me trying to get my
49 sequence and commands straight. If I was going to install again, I
50 would likely have it all on LVM except / and /boot. After all, this is
51 sort of the way fedora does it which is what started the init thingy, in
52 my opinion anyway. I think a Gentoo dev, a really big one, needs to
53 poke the fedora dev in the eye, right one since most are right eye
54 dominant. Might make his keyboard look funny for a while. :/
55
56 The init thingy, I have tried making one and booting it. It fails each
57 and every time. I fix one thing, something else breaks. Google finds
58 the same problems but no fixes. I can't seem to find a howto that works
59 for me, including the Gentoo wiki one. Dang fedora !
60
61 So, LVM, works fine just have to learn it. The init thing, sucks !!
62
63 I think the partitioning scheme varies on what you are doing with your
64 box tho. For home use, /boot, /, /home and maybe /var. You can do
65 /usr/portage if fragmentation bothers you. I have a /data thing that I
66 started waaaaay back when I was new on Linux and using Mandrake. I
67 really need to move that stuff to my /home directory. I was a bit green
68 at the time. lol I put my TV shows, .iso files and other junk on
69 there. That is on LVM since it seems to grow.
70
71 Oh, here is a funny one. Imagine walking up to the computer and seeing
72 knotify taking up 14Gbs of ram. O_O My rig was using all the ram, some
73 cache and slow as leap year. I kill -9'd that thing. Grrrr!!
74
75 Dale
76
80 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!