From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird "df" output
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 12:35:43
1 On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 07:27:18 -0500, waltdnes@××××××××.org wrote:
2
3 > > Hm, I don't consider extended partitions as primary ones but as
4 > > extended ones. When I need more than four partitions, I create three
5 > > primary ones, an extended one and logical ones within the extended
6 > > one. Why would I do that any other way?
7 > >
8 > > You cannot have a primary partition that covers the entire disk and
9 > > then some.
10 >
11 > OK, Primary and/or Extended partitions are numbered 1-to-4. Logical
12 > partitions within extended partitions are numbered 5 and up.
13
14 And an extended partition is a special type of primary partition.
15
16 Or you can avoid all this legacy idiocy and confusion by using GPT, which
17 lets you have a sensible number of partitions without fragile kludges.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 Shell to DOS... Shell to DOS... DOS, do you copy? Shell to DOS...