From: Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning up world
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 18:19:27
1 On Tue, 19 May 2009 10:32:01 -0700
2 felix@×××××××.com wrote:
3
4 > In a previous thread, I learned about keeping world simple with
5 > --oneshot. I realized how mine had gotten so bloated -- when I
6 > update, I edit the --pretend output and feed that directly into
7 > emerge without the benefit of --oneshot.
8 >
9 > So today I started a cleanup project. I began by moving world to
10 > world-bloated and running emerge --depclean -p just to see what would
11 > happen. The answer is ... a loop!
12 >
13 > There were a couple of missing or out of date packages and I emerged
14 > them. But libusb has to be 10.6 to make some packages happy and 10.7
15 > to satisfy others.
16 >
17 > I have been down this route before. I don't feel like unmerging
18 > either side of the mess, and even if I didn't want the packages, it is
19 > way too much hassle to unmerge them one by one as the list of unhappy
20 > packages grows.
21 >
22 > So, what is the proper way to recreate a proper world file? If
23 > depclean can finally run one of these days when gentoo gets back in
24 > sync, is staring with an empty world file as good as anything else?
25 > The idea of trying to make intelligent guesses about which packages
26 > are truly top level, out of 3000+ packages, is not enticing.
29 QUICK & DIRTY:
30
31 emerge autounmask
32 autounmask =app-portage/udept-0.5.99.0.2.95-r1
33 dep -w
36 About the "dirty" part. Don't use "dep" for anything else. It's
37 masked for a good reason - it's outdated and doesn't work with current
38 portage versions. "-w" is the only feature I use and it works for me.
39 Use at your own risk, make a backup of the world file, etc...
44 Best regards,
45 Daniel