From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Dell PowerEdge 2600 / 2800? AMI / LSI MegaRAID driver?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:24:37
1 On 20 Dec 2007, at 07:26, kashani wrote:
2 > Stroller wrote:
3 >> Just a quick question to see if any of the list members are using
4 >> Gentoo - or any other Linux distro for that matter - on Dell
5 >> PowerEdge 2600 or 2800 servers?
6 >> ...
7 > I used Redhat, Fedora, and Gentoo on 2550, 1650, 2650, 1750, 1850,
8 > and 2850 PowerEdge servers ...
9
10 Blimey! You obviously know your stuff. So how do you find Gentoo
11 measures up to Redhat / Fedora on these machines?
12
13 > Other than the CPU/RAM the main different between 2650, 2850, and
14 > 2950 was the SCSI card. I'd choose the 2850 over the 2650 given a
15 > choice for anything with heavy I/O and the 2950 are noticeably
16 > faster than the 2850 for our db stuff.
17
18 Ours is a 2800, and it's the 2600 that I find most readily / cheaply
19 available. Looks like the xx50 models are the rack-mount & lower-
20 profile models of the same generation. Looks like they're more
21 expensive secondhand and it's not obvious if hot-swap PSUs are
22 available?
23
24 The machines at this site aren't under high-load, so that's not
25 really a problem. We like this class of servers for the redundancy of
26 the moving-and-failure-prone kind of parts (PSU & disks).
27
28 If I might ask some follow-up questions:
29 Are the SCSI cards in these models the same brand / chipset / Linux
30 driver, please?
31 Or are they completely different?
32
33 > The SCSI on 2850's should be megaraid and you want the megaraid-new
34 > driver and Linux kernels would have issues if you tried to build
35 > both new and old so just pick new. (this might have changed in the
36 > past year since I've built a custom kernel for a 2850). I never had
37 > driver issues with any distro provided kernel or my own kernels.
38
39 Thanks for that pointer.
40
41 > IIRC you can pull the megarc RPMs from Dell's website and install
42 > them. I never got around to making them work with Gentoo, but it
43 > shouldn't be terribly hard. I don't know of anything in the normal
44 > driver that will tell you any ifo about status or failed drives,
45 > but I never looked that hard.
46
47 Hmmmn... googling a bit further I find that `megarc` are the
48 userspace utilities for these cards, and that they're only available
49 as binaries. I feel my enthusiasm for these units flagging - the cost
50 savings of buying secondhand aren't so much that I wouldn't rather
51 find a fully-OSS alternative.
52
53 > I bought most of my 2850's about two years ago. Dual Xeon's, 8GB, 6
54 > x 10k 146GB drives, and remote management card for about $4000.
55
56 Yeah, we paid £1300, I think, at about the same time. Dual Xeons &
57 the DRAC, but much less RAM & disk-space.
58
59 Stroller.--
60 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list