From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good file system that recovers from a power failure.
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 21:52:13
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 23:22 on Friday 31 December 2010, Dale did
2 opine thusly:
3
4 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 22:12 on Friday 31 December 2010, Dale
6 > > did
7 > >
8 > > opine thusly:
9 > >> Hi,
10 > >>
11 > >> I'm planning to build a rig like mine for my brother before to long. I
12 > >> know there are lots of opinions on the net but want some personal
13 > >> experience information on this. My brother does not have a UPS. I may
14 > >> can talk him into getting one but not sure. What is a good file system
15 > >> that recovers well from a improper shutdown? I use ext2, ext3 and
16 > >> reiserfs here but never had a power problem, except when hal broke my
17 > >> stuff. I know XFS is not good for this already from my own personal
18 > >> experience.
19 > >>
20 > >> Does anyone here have any personal experience on this? Just a 'I use
21 > >> this and had a power failure and it powered up fine with no data loss'
22 > >> would be nice. If this happened a lot and still worked, that would be
23 > >> even better.
24 > >>
25 > >> I'm not looking to start a turf war. This will be a plain old desktop
26 > >> so it doesn't need a fancy file system, just one that recovers from a
27 > >> power failure.
28 > >
29 > > Down here we have Africa power.
30 > > Africa power makes post-Katrina power look tame.
31 > >
32 > > Total corruptions in 5 years with reiserfs-3.6 and NO ups in that
33 > > environment = zero.
34 > >
35 > > I can't fairly comment on ext[234] as I don't have the same length of
36 > > experience with them. From what other commentators have said elsewhere it
37 > > looks like with optimum settings and tweaks they can be just as good as I
38 > > got from reiser, but that's just hearsay from me.
39 > >
40 > > My gut feel on this is that any modern fs will be built to be able to
41 > > tolerate blackouts - it's almost a requirement these days. So it's
42 > > likely a 6 and half- dozen question in reality. Except XFS as you know,
43 > > but that's a special case (aggressive caching virtually requires a UPS
44 > > or guaranteed no-downtime power)
45 >
46 > I have /boot on ext2. Portage is on ext3. I have reiserfs on
47 > everything else. I did have the hal problem and a power supply fan that
48 > died and I had to pull the plug. All the file systems I use recovered
49 > nicely after those problems. I didn't lose anything that I know of.
50 >
51 > Is reiserfs being maintained anymore? I have read where some say it is
52 > not but I have also read they are working on version 4 and it is being
53 > maintained. Not sure what to believe on this one.
54
55 When was the last time portage offered you a reiser update?
56
57 The reiser4progs ebuild has 13 Changelog entries in 2.5 years, 8 of them are
58 stabilisation toe various arches. Current version is 1.0.7 and has been there
59 for 23 months.
60
61 reiserfsprogs is similar, on 3.6.21 for 23 months and one update (not a
62 stabilisation) since Aug 2007
63
64 reiser4 is not in the mainline kernel, and highly unlikely to ever be there
65 according to the last thing I heard Linus say on the matter. Yes, it's in Zen
66 IIRC, but Zen is not mainline. And reiser4 will probably never have a real
67 fsck either (technical restriction - it's plugins that do the work and fsck
68 cannot know what the plugins did)
69
70 Hans *was* reiserfs for all practical purposes. SuSE funded most of Reiserfs
71 in the early days and they have switched away from it for logistic reasons.
72
73 Does any of that sound to you like "actively maintained"?
74
75 It's my opinion that reiser is in security-fix-only mode from whoever is
76 maintaining it. If everything else around it stays the same, the fs will
77 obviously continue working just as it always did. But the surrounding system
78 is not stable, it changes rapidly, especially in kernel space, so the odds are
79 stacked against reiser for bitrot. For all these reasons, I regretfully
80 switched my own systems over to ext4 some time ago. Rieser was a good fs whose
81 time has come and gone and I no longer had warm and fuzzies about the future
82 with it.
88 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com