From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: hibernation
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 07:41:24
1 On Friday, December 05, 2014 03:08:25 PM James wrote:
2 > Marc Stürmer <mail <at> marc-stuermer.de> writes:
3 > > The sad thing about hibernation is, that it has always kinda been some
4 > > kind of lackluster in the kernel and quite disappointing. It is a kind
5 > > of area which does not get much love in the kernel for at least over one
6 > > decade.
7 > >
8 > > So if you want to get this working reliable, good luck. You'll need it.
9 >
10 > Hibernation depends on a myriad of CPU variants, setting and the matching
11 > memory issues. (U)efi is a good place to start your long, arduous journey
12 > of research [1] ; see S4.
13
14 Not my experience, suspend-to-disk works quite well. The biggest issue was
15 with certain drivers not being able to re-initialize certain hardware. (Yes, I
16 am talking about the likes of Nvidia)
17 With current kernels, it does work though.
18
19 > I would research the problem and fix it with winblows as the operating
20 > system, if possible; then hope that those setting are not changed
21 > by booting linux. Often you can copy the bios setting from the laptop
22 > and find tools to at least view the contents legibly. It does depend
23 > on the bios. Maybe you need a vendor supplied bios update/downgrade.
24 >
25 > Maybe Coreboot, has some old work laying around that is relevant to
26 > your needs [2]. It is mostly a research journey, that may lead
27 > to success or failure. Hard to say, as sometimes the same make and
28 > model of a laptop, has diffent internal components (like firmware, bios
29 > and chips)...
30
31 For suspend-to-ram, I agree.
32 Suspend-to-disk can be handled by the OS.
35 Joost