From: Michael Higgins <linux@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to "freeze" my Gentoo system
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 17:24:04
1 On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:51:05 +0000
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:13:30 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >
6 > > > Could he just not sync and call it a day? I suspect this is
7 > > > going to bite him one day tho. We know Gentoo likes to be
8 > > > updated fairly regular. I been around Gentoo for years and I
9 > > > don't think I would want to do this. I'm not sure how much
10 > > > experience the OP has tho.
11
12 No worries. If I break it, I get to keep the pieces...
13
14 > > Michael's been around a while, his name is familiar. He did say he
15 > > wants -rN updates so I take that to mean he wants bug fixes and
16 > > security updates but everything else to stay that same and
17 > > especially no potential ABI/API changes
18 >
19 > One potential problem is ebuilds disappearing from the portage tree as
20 > packages are updated, so it would be worth copying everything he uses
21 > (or the whole tree) into an overlay.
24 Thanks to you both for all the suggestions and caveats... I'll report back when I've done the script to populate package.mask with atoms *pre-*pended by '~'.
25
26 As one of you mentioned, it's not an unreasonable thing to want to "freeze" a system, but OTOH Gentoo does like regular updating.
27
28 If something drops from the tree, that's okay... My goal is, for packages I've unmasked for the architecture, that they don't keep being updated to the latest available, but eventually come into concordance with 'stable'.
29
30 Cheers,
35 | |ichael | |iggins \^ /
36 michael.higgins[at]evolone[dot]org