From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] transfer large files via samba cause system freeze
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 13:58:02
1 Qiangning Hong schreef:
2 > Bryan Whitehead wrote:
3 >
4 >> Can't you also use the iocharset=utf8 and codepage=utf8?
5 >>
6 >> something like: mount -t smbfs -o
7 >> user=<user>,iocharset=utf8,codepage=utf8 \\server\path /mnt/samba
8 >>
9 >> This doesn't work?
12 > It doesn't work. There are "?"s in the filenames.
15 That's actually a good thing.... I take it you're doing this in a
16 terminal? Which one? Was it compiled with UTF8 support?What font is the
17 terminal using for display? A "?" replacing characters tends to mean (in
18 font-speak) that the character is 'known', but no actual character
19 exists to render under the selected font, or font encoding. So you kinda
20 get a"?" literally because the display doesn't know what to show there,
21 if you see what I'm getting at.
22
23 Are you able to actually use any of the files properly, even if the
24 filenames are not displayed correctly? Or are you unable to try that,
25 because you just can't read any of the filenames?
26
27 If your Winbox is Chinese, does your terminal, and the display font
28 chosen for the terminal support Chinese characters?
29
30 I've gotta tell you, getting UTF8 and font encoding properly set up so
31 that 'special characters' appear correctly across programs and terms can
32 be a pain in the butt, and I'm only needing it for another Latin-based
33 language, not any of the Asian or Cyrillic languages that use a
34 completely different character set. But it's well worth doing, because
35 it's more of a pain to not be able to read filenames or messages because
36 of these stupid '?'s or other 'placeholder' characters that must be used
37 in place of the correct ones when the system is not set up to support
38 the correct ones.
39
40 Holly
41 --