From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Icelandic issues
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:52:41
1 Robin Atwood writes:
2
3 > No I did not have my money in a dodgy bank but I can no longer play Sigur
4 > Ros albums. When the CD is ripped onto the HD the file names contain
5 > accented characters and Amarok 2 says the directory/file does not exist.
6 > Formerly this was possible, so I am guessing converting to KDE4 may have
7 > been the culprit. My locale is set up thus:
8 >
9 > $ locale
10 > LANG=en_GB.utf8
11 > LC_CTYPE="en_GB.utf8"
12 > etc...
13 >
14 > Dolphin shows file names like: Sigur Ros - 07 - Vi�rar Vel Til
15 > Loft�r�sa.mp3 When I use a browser I can see the special characters and
16 > can copy them to this mail: Ágætis byrjun. I added "is" and some other
17 > things to LINGUAS and re-installed kde-l10n but no accents. What is the
18 > trick with this?
19
20 I had a similar problem lately, after I switched to UTF8. Dolphin and some
21 other applications were unable to deal with these files. i was advised here
22 to emerge convmv and use this utility to convert the filenames to UTF8.
23 Maybe something like 'convmv -f latin1 -t utf-8 Sigur\ Ros\ -\ 07<tab>'
24 works for you, too. In order to actually do the conversion, add the --notest
25 option. convmv also supports recursive conversion of whole directory trees.
26
27 Wonko