From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: libpng12 is missing
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 12:57:42
1 Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> writes:
2
3 > Harry Putnam writes:
4 >
5 >> Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> writes:
6 >> > After writing down some ideas about installing the old libraries
7 >> > somewhere in parallel, I just checked eix, and there is an extra
8 >> > slot for the 1.2 version. So, just emerge media-libs/libpng:1.2 ,
9 >> > and I'd expect all to be fine then.
10 >>
11 >> Doesn't seem to be the case here. (Some details below), But do we have
12 >> a accepted way to handle this problem now?
13 >
14 > When I wrote this, I did not really know much about this, I just spotted
15 > the 2nd slot. At that time, I also had a little libpng trouble, I could
16 > not update @world due to libpng blockers. I unmerged libpng, updated
17 > something that was blocking (don't remember what), and remerged libpng,
18 > because many applications were no longer working. I did the world update,
19 > ran lafilefixer --justfixit, emerged @preserved-libs, and had to do a
20 > revdep-rebuild, don't know why, I thought with FEATURES=preserve-libs this
21 > should no longer necessary.
22 >
23 > But in the end, everything is sane now. My eix output looks similar, I
24 > also have both 1.2.43-r3 and 1.4.2 installed.
25 >
26 >> But still some pkgs strike out from what appears to be libpng errors:
27 >>
28 >> Example: xfce-base/thunar-1.0.2, (Wrapped for mail)
29 >> (Emphasis added with asterisks -ed hp)
30 >> ------- --------- ---=--- --------- --------
31 >> tail of emerge:
32 >>
33 >> ,----
34 >>
35 >> | [...]
36 >> |
37 >> | /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.3/../../../../\
38 >> |
39 >> | i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
40 >> | **** cannot find -lpng12 ****
41 >
42 > Weird. I just tried that, and thunar-1.0.2 compiles just fine.
43 > Does /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 exist on your system? But, wait a minute, my
44 > thunar links to libpng14.so.14, not to 1.2. Do you have
45 > /usr/lib/libpng14.so.14? Maybe lafilefixer -justfixit fixed something for
46 > me, and you should try this, too?
47
48 Thanks for your reply, but I guess it will remain a puzzle... I did so
49 many things fussing with libpng... I'm not sure what fixed it in the
50 end.
51
52 One of them was to redo installing both libpng version all over again,
53 by emerge -vC libpng completely then installing again making sure to
54 install 1.4 first, and 1.2 in the slot. But also used `lafilefixer
55 -justfixit' Not to mention Neils fix with the nifty regular
56 expressions.
57
58 Also a revdep-rebuild in there.
59
60 At some point I was able to startx... (A libpng 1.2 error had been
61 stopping X from starting) and finish the rest from X. (getting the
62 xfce pkgs to install finally.)
63
64 I kept having the nagging feeling I might have originally had the
65 libpng version in the wrong order... I'm not sure if that is even
66 possible though.