From: Joshua Schmidlkofer <joshland@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BIG reiserfs problem
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 14:40:29
1 > While this is true, it also may dramatically lower the mean time to
2 > failure for your disk, due to increased ware and tear - consumer ATA
3 > drives are designed to operate with the write cache on.
4 >
5 > If you cannot afford to lose data due to poweroff corruption, then the
6 > only viable solution is a RAID card that includes battery backup (e.g.
7 > 3Ware and Areca sell these).
10 Mark,
11
12 Thank you for clarifying. My comments were obscure and poorly
13 worded. You are correct. If one requires supreme data-safety with an
14 ATA drive, one must do things that will ultimately be
15 counter-productive for the longevity of your disks. Furthermore, (I
16 can fully attest) that they will be a significant hit on performance.
17
18 If you need high safety, speed, and retention, then the 3ware +
19 Battery backup is a low-cast solution. There are tons of higher cost
20 ones. most of me servers run with battery-backed RAID cards.
21
22 I also like to make scripts to remount the FSs with -o sync in the
23 case of power outage. That way, just in case the UPS actually fails
24 early (which happens at times), I don't lose data. I have had that
25 preference no matter what FS i use.
26
27 sincerely,
28 Joshua