From: "François-Xavier CARTON" <fx.carton@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Xorg on really old PC
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 22:21:03
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm installing Gentoo on a really old PC (with a Pentium III and a i815
4 graphic card). I've installed a minimal Gentoo system, and I'm trying to
5 get Xorg working.
6
7 I've searched on the Gentoo wiki, and found that I should use an old
8 version of mesa (<8.0) to get OpenGL support [1]. So I have masked
9 recent versions of mesa and some Xorg packages in order to install the
10 last version of mesa that is below 8.0. My package.mask is:
11 >media-libs/mesa-7.10.3
12 >=app-eselect/eselect-opengl-1.2.6
13 >x11-proto/glproto-1.4.15
14 >x11-base/xorg-server-1.12.4-r5
15 I have no xorg.conf.
16
17 When I run startx, the screen goes black and the Xorg server segfaults,
18 according to the log file [2]. Nothing works after that, including the
19 keyboard, so I cannot go back to a linux console. Maybe it is a
20 configuration issue, or maybe I'm using a buggy version. Has anyone any
21 suggestion on what configuration and versions I should use?
22
23 Thanks,
24 François-Xavier Carton
25