From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Temporary data storage
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 13:03:00
1 Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> [12-09-08 14:44]:
2 > On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>wrote:
3 >
4 > > Am 08.09.2012 14:13, schrieb meino.cramer@×××.de:
5 > > > Hi,
6 > > >
7 > > > from Gentoos point of view:
8 > > >
9 > > > The following place I found, where temporary data are stored:
10 > > > /tmp
11 > > > /var/tmp
12 > > > /run
13 > > > /tmp
14 > > > /var/log ???
15 > > >
16 > > > Where else are temprary data stored, which can thrown away when
17 > > rebooting?
18 > > >
19 > > > Thank you very much in advance for any help!
20 > > > Best regards,
21 > > > mcc
22 > > >
23 > >
24 > > What exactly are you trying to do?
25 > >
26 > > As per the filesystem hierarchy standard [1], you should not clear out
27 > > /var/tmp on reboots.
28 > >
29 > > Other directories you /might/ clear out:
30 > > /var/run
31 > > /var/lock
32 > >
33 > > [1] http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html
34 > >
35 > > Regards,
36 > > Florian Philipp
39 > I'd guess he's making a system template image for PXE or cloning.
42 > --
43 > :wq
44
45 Hi,
46
47 no....I am trying to minimize write cycles on a mmc-card by mounting
48 tmpfs on those....
49
50 As long everything works fine I willing to hurt standards...since this
51 is "only" a little singleboard computer and no world wide reachable
52 masterpiece of power server ;) :) 8)))
53
54 Best regards,
55 mcc