From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with gdbus-codegen
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2017 23:06:53
1 On Sunday 29 Jan 2017 22:10:59 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 29 Jan 2017 19:17:47 +0000, Mick wrote:
3 > > > Are you running fstrim once in a while like it's recommended?
4 > > > Apparently using 'discard' as an option when mounting is no longer
5 > > > recommended. On my laptops I use a systemd timer to do this. Before
6 > > > that I used anacron (I think it was anacron) which would run missed
7 > > > cronjobs.
8 > >
9 > > This is surprised me ... I just installed Gentoo on a MacBook and the
10 > > handbook/wiki said to use discard in fstab ... I'm running two PCs like
11 > > this now. :-/
12 > >
13 > > Is there a URL somewhere recommending otherwise?
14 >
15 > man fstrim:
16 >
17 > Running fstrim frequently, or even using mount -o discard, might
18 > negatively affect the lifetime of poor-quality SSD devices. For most
19 > desktop and server systems a sufficient trimming frequency is once a
20 > week. Note that not all devices support a queued trim, so each trim
21 > command incurs a performance penalty on whatever else might be trying to
22 > use the disk at the time.
23
24 Hmm .... I better take these discards off fstab then. Are these weekly trims
25 OK, if the PC is rebooted on a daily basis?
28 Regards,
29 Mick