From: Joshua Schmidlkofer <joshland@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to do "account management" across multiple Unix boxes?
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 22:39:54
1 IMNSHO NIS is a big fat waste. I would strongly recommend against. it. =)
2 It does simplify a number of things, and I honestly have never actually
3 tried to make the LDAP integration work on BSD.
4
5 Kerberos is not an account management tool - it is authentication
6 management, I use it all the time, and even in small networks I prefer it
7 to the 'straight' alternatives. OpenLDAP + Kerberos is pretty hot. I use
8 this for my work network especially, and on my home network I use local
9 accounts + kerberos.
10
11 Gentoo has an LDAP howto here: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/ldap-howto.xml
12
13 I have a really horrible kerberos howto, but it may become less horrible in
14 time: http://lateralis.imr-net.com/wiki/jms/Kerberos
15
16 Finally, most of where I started with all of this is here:
17
18 http://www.ofb.net/~jheiss/krbldap/