From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] big problem, small solution
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:42:07
1 Sean wrote:
2 >
3 > I recently replaced the fans and heat sinks on my dual opterons to
4 > bring the temp down, I was also very much trying to bring the nose
5 > level down from the fans.
6 >
7 > I used 2 copper heat fans with heat pipes from thermaltake, and put
8 > some 90 mm fans on each cpu/heatsink.
9 > I also put a new case around them to improve air flow.
10 >
11 > You want more air being pulled out of your box then going in.
12 > I manually monitor and control the fan speed and with the new setup I
13 > have been able to get the processor fans rpms down to 1800-2000, a
14 > real help to reduce noise, with the temp averaging about 46c when idle.
15 >
16 > When I have done something, perhaps emerge some program, whatever,
17 > temp goes to about 50-52c.
18 >
19 > Check the specs on your processor to see what the operating temp range
20 > is so you do not burn things up.
21 >
22 > Hope it helps,
23 > Sean
24 Well, I have a AMD 2500+ and mine doesn't run near that temp. Just
25 plain old air cooling with folding running and I am at 37 and 27. I
26 have a ThermalTake 12 on mine.
27
28 Why does everybody have these high temps??
29
30 Dale
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list