From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] invisible README
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 16:05:40
1 On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 1:56 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > 110215 Paul Hartman wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:54 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >>> I recently put some files at  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/esp/ .
5 >>> One of them is  README.pdf , which is visible when I list the dir contents
6 >>> using SSh or Krusader, but which is not shown by FF, Konqueror or Lynx.
7 >>> If I make a copy called  READFILE.pdf , it is shown by the browsers.
8 >>> Can anyone explain what's going on ?
9 >> Maybe your IndexIgnore setting is something like this:
10 >> IndexIgnore .??* *~ *# HEADER* README* RCS CVS *,v *,t
11 >
12 > I should have explained in the OP that there are other files there,
13 > all of which appear in the browsers' listings.
14 > What is happening is that the file  README.pdf  -- alone --
15 > is automatically given the permission  600 , while the others have  644 .
16 > This happens even when I copy  README.pdf  from  READFILE.pdf ,
17 > so there is some setting somewhere telling it to do that.
18 > So, where do I look for 'IndexIgnore ... ' ?
19
20 Hi,
21
22 The example configuration line I quoted was taken from the Apache documentation:
23
24 http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_autoindex.html#indexignore
25
26 "The IndexIgnore directive adds to the list of files to hide when
27 listing a directory. File is a shell-style wildcard expression or full
28 filename. Multiple IndexIgnore directives add to the list, rather than
29 the replacing the list of ignored files. By default, the list contains
30 . (the current directory)."
31
32 It's just a stab in the dark :) Good luck.