From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 12:20:43
1 On Monday 06 Aug 2012 11:48:50 Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:
2 > On 06.08.2012 12:14, Dale wrote:
3 > > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
4 > >> What do you gain if you abuse your drive so hard that its
5 > >> lifetime is severly impacted?
6 > >
7 > > That if it has a problem that will cause it to fail soon in it's
8 > > life, then I can find it soon. Remember that curve about failures?
9 > > I would like to get past that first part of the curve. Maybe by
10 > > the time I get to the later part, I'll have another drive or some
11 > > backup scheme. Most the failures I have read about in reviews for
12 > > this drive were early or was just plain old DOA. Testing it will
13 > > get me past that. I'd rather it fail before I get my data on it
14 > > instead of after.
15 > >
16 > > I thought I posted why I wanted to do this in my first post.
17 > >
18 > > Dale
19 > >
20 > > :-) :-)
21 >
22 > Why not simply get you data on it and use it for about 2 weeks? Maybe
23 > you should mirror important stuff to the old drive for that time.
24 >
25 > After about 2 weeks of normal usage you should be well out of the
26 > beginnig of that bathtub curve (I always had problems when copying
27 > data to the new drive when I had a bad one, except DOA of course).
28
29 The 'Conveyance self-test routine' of smartmontools will check for damage
30 during physical transport. If it is completely DOA, then that ought to be
31 obvious I guess.
32 --
33 Regards,
34 Mick