From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads-up: Several kernel versions have severe EXT4 data corruption bug
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 01:33:48
1 On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 8:09 PM, Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 8:54 AM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.com>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>>
7 >>> Kernels 3.4, 3.5, and 3.6 can result in severe data corruption if you're
8 >>> using the EXT4 filesystem:
9 >>>
10 >>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTIxNDQ
11 >>>
12 >>> This includes gentoo-sources. I hope the Gentoo developers are on top of
13 >>> this. In the meantime, avoid doing reboots after too short an uptime.
16 >> Doesn't seem to be that serious:
17 >>
18 >> https://plus.google.com/u/0/117091380454742934025/posts/Wcc5tMiCgq7
21 > Might I enquire as to the manner in which this comment impartially
22 > establishes that the consequences of the bug upon those affected is not
23 > serious?
24
25 "I suppose I should be glad the potential ext4 corruption that two
26 users have reported potentially impacting v3.6.2 and v3.6.3 has
27 promoted some minor increase in revenue (due to advertising hits) for
28 Slashdot and Phoronix, but really, people should chill out."
29
30 "That's not to say that we're not treating this seriously; I was up
31 until late last night trying to get a handle on it. But folks
32 shouldn't be running around with their heads cut off. "
33
34 "It now looks like the reproduction involved something very esoteric
35 indeed, involving using umount -l and shutdowns while the file system
36 was still being unmounted --- and the user had nobarrier specified in
37 the mount options as well."
38
39 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1379725/focus=34994
40
41 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1379725/focus=35003
42
43 That, and the picture with the big "DON'T PANIC" letters on it.
44
45 Regards.
46 --
47 Canek Peláez Valdés