From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Speed up `du'
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 02:56:13
1 On Sonntag, 25. Mai 2008, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 25 May 2008, at 00:24, Willie Wong wrote:
3 > > On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 04:49:09PM -0500, Penguin Lover
4 > >
5 > > reader@×××××××.com squawked:
6 > >> ...
7 > >> I use Reiserfs with default sizes. In some situations like a large
8 > >> cache of nntp messages of several GB. I might wait 5-10 minutes
9 > >> or more
10 > >> for du to get the size of the directory.
11 > >
12 > > I am pretty sure the problem with du is that it actually looks,
13 > > recursively, at every single file and computes the size that way.
14 >
15 > What he said.
16 >
17 > > Or maybe there is some other tool or technique that can quickly tell
18 > > me the size of a directory or set of directories.
19 >
20 > Keep all the files in a honkin' big tarball.
21 >
22 > :P
23 >
24 > If you need to read these files on the fly then I'm afraid you'll
25 > have to write a kernel filesystem extension (or find one?) that will
26 > read them out of the tar file, slowing all read & write actions down.
27 > But, hey, `du` on the tarball will complete in no time at all!! ;)
28 >
29 > In seriousness, another thing to do is keep these files on a separate
30 > partition, if you can. Basically a user's ~ which includes
31 > both .maildir and "My HiDef Videos" is non-optimal.
32 >
33 > >> Are there other file systems that can return a result of `du' faster?
34 >
35 > All filesystems have their advantages & disadvantages.
36 >
37 > <http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/388>
38
39 one thing the article does not mention:
40
41 reiserfs and xfs your barriers by default.
42
43 ext3 does not. And if you turn on barriers (as mount option) you loose 30% of
44 its speed.
45
46 Of course, if you care about data integrity, LVM is ruled out too - for the
47 same reason.
48
49 So if you care about data integrity and speed at the same time, ext3 is ruled
50 out. XFS is broken on a monthly basis (just search the lkml archives for
51 xfs. It is sickening). Leaves reiserfs as only sane choice.
52 --
53 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list