From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev/initramfs problem
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:01:59
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:25:52 -0500
4 "Johnson, Maurice E CTR NSWCDL-K74" <maurice.e.johnson1.ctr@××××.mil> wrote:
5
6 > # genkernel -- menuconfig --install all
7
8 Hm, I don't really know genkernel. Does it create the initramfs?
9
10 > When in the ash shell environment, I notice that there are few static
11 > nodes in /dev. ( i.e. console, pty etc.) In this environment, I am
12 > able to load the modules manually, but still no device is visible in /dev.
13
14 Then there's either no daemon that creates the devices (udev) or it
15 isn't somehow configured correctly.
16
17 > I note that the MPT driver structure has changed as well for this
18 > kernel - which, I have built both modularly and strait into the kernel.
19
20 Somehow I doubt that. Usually you have it either the one way or the
21 other. But as you said you could load them, I guess they're modules.
22 You might want to try to recompile a kernel with all drivers compiled
23 in.
24
25 > I have been doing a great deeal of reading and have found that klibc
26 > may be an issue, however, building older (2.6.12-r4) kernels works
27 > without error. Also noted here is that 2.6.12-r4 still has devfs
28 > features available.
29
30 That would explain it. udev would be needed in the initramfs to create
31 devices upon module loading.
32
33 > >>> The module is contained within the initramfs and loads (manually)
34
35 So there's no hotplugging or similar. Try to compile the drivers
36 directly into the kernel.
37
38 > - and how is the module to be loaded by the initramfs?
39 > >>> My presumption is that the rules within 50-udev.rules provide for this.
40 > - is there a static or a dynamic /dev in the initramfs?
41 > >>> My best discription here is dynamic with a few static nodes present.
42
43 Ah, this _is_ in the initramfs? Is there a udevd spawned in initramfs?
44
45 > I beleive that it is at the PCI level where this failure occures,
46 > because, if the PCI interface ti the controler were properly handled,
47 > then the scsi bus it provides would be available.
48
49 Is "dmesg" available in initramfs? It may contain hints upon module
51 anyway. You're shure that those are the correct drivers, aren't you?
54 -hwh
55 --
56 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list