From: Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage, git and shallow cloning
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2018 08:35:10
1 Part of the original intent of the mail was just to bring to light the
2 disparity between the documentation and experience (wrt the default
3 value) -- I had no configured value and portage was trying to clone the
4 entire history of the repo instead of a shallow start. Since I really
5 appreciate the Gentoo documentation and have relied on it for
6 installation and any system maintenance, I just wanted to bring this to
7 light.
8
9 I understand that git history will build over time -- I'm less concerned
10 with (eventual) disk usage than I am with the speed of `emerge --sync`,
11 which (and perhaps I'm sorely mistaken) appeared to be faster using git
12 than rsync -- hence my choice of git over rsync (the discussion at
13 https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1009562.html shows me to not be
14 alone in this experience).
15
16 Having the changelogs available also comes off as a positive for me --
17 I'm just plain curious.
18
19 -d
20
21 ------ Original Message ------
22 From: "Mick" <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
23 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
24 Sent: 2018-07-06 10:01:20
25 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Portage, git and shallow cloning
26