From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linux, reiserfs and file fragmentation
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:51:22
1 On Thursday 14 February 2008, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I did a little test. Something fishy here. I did a test with the
4 > /data partition. I store pictures and documents there and it was
5 > fragmented. I cp -av to another reiserfs formatted partition then
6 > remade the file system and copied it back using basically the same
7 > command just in reverse. This is what I got now:
8 >
9 > root@smoker / # /root/fragck.pl /data/
10 > 3.88457269700333% non contiguous files, 1.04344379261138 average
11 > fragments. root@smoker / #
12 >
13 > That is not a lot better than it was before. It was 4.6% before.
14 > How is that? I copied it over then ran the command right after
15 > without even touching the files.
16
17 Before you copy back, you have to "clean" the old partition - either
18 by deleting everything or by partioning it.
19
20 Uwe
23 Informal Linux Group Namibia:
24 http://www.linux.org.na/