From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System Locking Up
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 05:57:10
1 try to run "gkrellm2" it might give you some hints if it is a hardware
2 related problem on process related.
5 #Joseph
6
7 On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 22:43 -0500, Shawn Singh wrote:
8 > Hello all,
9 >
10 > Over the course of the past 2 weeks I've come home to a "zombie
11 > machine" two times. Here are the symptoms:
12 >
13 > 1. Can't get the mouse to move on the screen
14 > 2. See the time is several hours back (the time that is displayed in
15 > the panel)
16 > 3. Can't ssh into the box to find out what might be causing the
17 > system to be unresponsive.
18 > 4. Can't ping the box.
19 >
20 > When looking in /var/log in the critical and kernel sections I don't
21 > see any warning messages. I've also looked in the Xorg and sshd logs
22 > to see if there is anything in there to indicate what might be
23 > happening, but I don't see anything.
24 >
25 > I've got a Pentium 4 (1300 Mhz), 768Mb RAM. I've had Gentoo on this
26 > box for several months now (at least 9) and have not seen this problem
27 > before (at least that I can remember).
28 >
29 > What log files might there be that might give some indications as to
30 > the problem that might be causing the system to become unresponsive?
31 >
32 > Thank you,
33 >
34 > Shawn Singh