From: Maxim Wexler <maxim.wexler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Goodbye to gentoo?
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 00:37:50
1 I like gentoo; there's a steep learning curve but after you pass that
2 it just clicks. As difficult as it ever became there was always an
3 answer to be found, on a blog, irc, documentaiton...
4
5 But I might have to give up on gentoo if I can't find a way to fix
6 this latest difficulty. I live in the hinterland where there is no
7 broadband. I have to make do with a dialup modem over ~10mi of copper
8 wire. Now I find I can no longer dialup the internet using ppp command
9 #pon <isp>. The modem lights come on and the log says the DNS have
10 been all been assigned. status=0x0. But I can't ping out. 'Host
11 unreachable'.
12
13 As slow as my connection is, I've always been able to sync portage and
14 use bash to write a link file which I can download at the free wifi in
15 town. Now I can't even do that.
16
17 I suspect this has something to do with the openrc which seems to be
18 steadily "improving".. There are no error msgs other than the ping
19 error above. I'm sure this is gentoo specific because it doesn't
20 affect the Ubuntu side of my pc(yet ;().where I'm typing this. In
21 ubuntu I have to rmmod my wifi and ethn drivers or the same thing
22 happens: modem lights up, log says everything fine, but no internet.
23 Once every other bit of net hardware comes down, the web is reachable.
24 This USED to be the case for gentoo as well, but now, even that
25 doesn't help.
26
27 The landline gets no respect. Now gmail is making angry noises cause I
28 won't give them my mobile number. But I don't have one. There isn't
29 even coverage out here.
30
31 Broadband and dialup used to get along but those days seem to be gone.
32
33 Hope somebody can see a way out.
34
35 MW