From: Michael Pobega <pobega@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Mail on multiple laptops
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:50:37
1 On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 03:25:58PM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2008-07-15, Nicolai Beuermann <Nicolai.Beuermann@×××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 > >> I was looking into IMAP but I can't really figure out how it works
5 > >
6 > > Maybe one can compare it with a simple remote filesystem.
7 >
8 > With a few database features thrown in.
9 >
10 > With IMAP, you can create folders on the server and leave all
11 > your mail there. That way you can get to it with any IMAP
12 > client on any machine. Most ISPs (and Gmail) offer web access
13 > as well.
16 One problem I find is that switching from folder to folder takes a long
17 time ... Sometimes the cache saves, but other times it needs to reread
18 all 54,000 emails, and that takes quite a while. Is there a better
19 method of accessing my folders to speed this up?
22 If programmers deserve to be rewarded for creating innovative
23 programs, by the same token they deserve to be punished if they
24 restrict the use of these programs.
25 - Richard Stallman
26 --
27 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list