From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Qt-4.8.7 bug
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 18:03:13
1 Am Mon, 22 May 2017 19:33:55 +0200
2 schrieb Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@×××.de>:
3
4 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
5 >
6 > > On Monday 22 May 2017 09:49:01 Jörg Schaible wrote:
7 > >> Hi Peter,
8 > >>
9 > >> Peter Humphrey wrote:
10 > >>
11 > >> [snip]
12 > >>
13 > [...]
14 > >>
15 > >> well, this does not seem to be the complete truth. When I switched
16 > >> to gcc 5.x I did a revdep-rebuild for anything that was compiled
17 > >> against libstdc++.so.6 just like the according news entry was
18 > >> recommending. And I am quite sure that those Qt plugins were part
19 > >> of my 515 recompiled packages.
20 > >>
21 > >> Nevertheless, my KDE 4 apps were broken after the update to Qt
22 > >> 4.8.7. Rebuilding anything that was using libQtCore.so.4 solved
23 > >> it, but I fail to see how this is related to the gcc update two
24 > >> weeks ago.
25 > >
26 > > I can only suggest you read bug report 618922 if you haven't
27 > > already, including following its reference to bug 595618. It makes
28 > > sense to me.
29 >
30 > It does not for me. My packages were already compiled with gcc-5.4.0.
31 > Those Buzilla issues only talk about (plasma/qt) packages compiled
32 > with previous gcc-4.x which are supposed to be incompatible. All of
33 > the plasma/qt related packages that have been recompiled, because
34 > they were built upon libQtCore.so.4 were already recompiled with
35 > gcc5. I've checked my logs.
36
37 Is the problem maybe order of building packages?
38
39 From your description I see one edge case: Plasma could have been
40 compiled with gcc-5 but linked to qt still built with gcc-4. Then, qt
41 was rebuilt after this and is compiled by gcc-5 now.
42
43 Without reading the bug report I would guess that is what the bug is
44 about: Linking plasma against gcc-4 built qt binaries... Even when you
45 rebuild qt with gcc-5 after this, you'd need to relink plasma.
46
47 From your logs, you should see the order in which those packages were
48 rebuilt and linked.
49
50 revdep-rebuild is not always able to perfectly order packages right for
51 emerge, and emerge in turn has no problem with wrong ordering because
52 it is rebuilding packages and the dependency constraints are already
53 fulfilled (read: runtime and build deps are already there). Portage
54 does not consider rebuilds as a hard dependency/precondition for
55 rebuilding other packages...
56
57 As far as I understood, "--changed-deps" should fix this and also
58 rebuild packages depending on the rebuilt packages _after_ they've been
59 rebuilt.
60
61 The "--empty" option would have a similar effect, tho rebuild many more
62 packages.
63
64 You could've tried if "revdep-rebuild ... -- --changed-deps" would've
65 done anything better. I would be interested...
69 Regards,
70 Kai
71
72 Replies to list-only preferred.