From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] beegfs goes opensource!
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 10:15:04
1 Hi all,
2
3 On Thu, 25 Feb 2016 22:03:59 +0000 (UTC) James wrote:
4 > This smoking hot (many HPC scientist agree) distributed file
5 > system will surely rock the cluster, container and Hi Performance
6 > Computing worlds. [1] Now if I were only smart enough to get this
7 > puppy into portage.......
8
9 By the way, does anyone have any real performance comparison with
10 Lustre?
11
12 While it is good to have another solution available, I don't see
13 any real benefits of FhgFS/BeeGFS compared to Lustre these days.
14 At the time where FhgFS was created, Lustre indeed was unable to
15 use multiple metadata servers, so this was a bottleneck. But now
16 Lustre also supports distributed metadata, so they should on par in
17 this matter.
18
19 On the other hand, Lustre has much larger community (e.g. see
20 TOP-500 list) and is much better tested (and even under such
21 conditions it has problems in some corner cases). Thus I see no
22 advantage in FhgFS for HPC setups.
23
24 Of course world of parallel distributed file systems is very
25 versatile, so for different tasks/workloads different file systems
26 are the most suitable, but for typical IB-based HPC storage I see
27 no better solution than Lustre at this moment.
28
29 Best regards,
30 Andrew Savchenko