From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USB permission/owner - change not allowed as root
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 22:08:27
1 On 12/31/2013 08:18 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > That looks normal. Having lines in fstab for removable media is not a
3 > good solution in general - insert two sticks and the second one doesn't
4 > have a matching line (it isn't /dev/sdb1)
5
6 Having a dos label on a memory stick allows you to mount it using the
7 usual LABEL='mylabel' syntax, which is independent of the device name.
8
9 sys-fs/dosfstools includes dosfslabel, which lets you put a disk label
10 on a vfat-formatted memory stick.
11
12 Since I stopped using consolekit (Canek talked me into it ;) I've had
13 to authenticate as root for several things that were transparent before,
14 like mounting removable drives and rebooting/powering-off the computer.
15
16 While security is always annoying, I think the new behavior is probably
17 better because it's non-M$ behavior and therefore safer.