From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Long standing problem of booting thu kvm switch
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 18:01:07
1 Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On 17/12/2010, at 1:41am, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >
5 >> Somewhere back down the road... mnths now, I lost the ability to talk
6 >> to the boot screen from my KVM connected keyboard.
7 >>
8 >> What I mean is, when gentoo starts to boot and reaches the grub
9 >> screen... It does not see my keyboard yet.
10 >>
11 >> Once booted and login prompt is up (I boot to console mode) the
12 >> keyboard now is recognized.
13 >>
14 >> There was a time when the keyboard was recognized throughout, so
15 >> something changed in grub or I'm not sure what... but this happens
16 >> before the kernel is booted.
17
18 > I'll refresh your memory:
19 >
20 > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/user/190909
21 >
22 > There are unresolved posts in that thread - you haven't returned to
23 > the list and said "yeah, I tried this and the result was ____".
24 >
25 > Please post back when you have checked the BIOS settings for HID devices.
26
27 Thanks for the memory boost, you are a very patient fellow... I
28 appreciate it greatly on this end.
29
30 I can access the bios with no problem. And in So doing, and after
31 sorting thru the bios listings a while I found the `legacy' switch for
32 usb that can be toggled... pointed out in your posts on that previous
33 thread.
34
35 However since I can access the bios thru the KVM switch, shouldn't
36 that mean I should be also able to access the grub prompt?
37
38 At any rate, even though I don't understand why it should help I tried
39 enabling the legacy switch (It had been disabled). And I'll be
40 dammed if it didn't fix my problem...
41
42 Had I not lost track of that earlier thread..... All the ingredients
43 necessary to stop my suffering were available there. Both you and
44 Mike K, gave me all the suggestions needed to get straightened out.
45
46 Thanks to you both .. and now able to access the grub prompt thru my
47 KVM.
48
49 ps - You were bragging about the abilities of you KVM switch in the
50 past thread... I didn't see it mentioned what switch that is.
51
52 Also you mentioned accessing your KVM with a web browser... can you
53 enlarge a few details on that?