From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wireless: Limit rate to strengthen connection?
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 23:48:17
1 > > I'm trying to strengthen a wireless connection that spans about 150
2 > > feet and has to go through about 5 walls. I bought two of these:
3 > >
4 > > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110
5 > >
6 > > for either end of the connection, but I'm having trouble making it
7 > > work well. I've noticed the connection will be perfect for a short
8 > > time, but then disappear. When watching iwconfig during this process,
9 > > it looks like the connection is good when on a low rate, but when it
10 > > goes to 54 Mbps it falls apart.
11 > >
12 > > Should limiting the rate solve this problem? If so, how can I do
13 > > that? I'm using hostapd on the AP and wpa_supplicant on the client.
14 > >
15 > > - Grant
16 >
17 > Grant,
18 >
19 > Yes, lowering the rate to a "slower" speed will help greatly. The lower rates
20 > use less compression and modulation... less complex wave forms better
21 > connects over long hauls.
22 >
23 > The antennas look very good, but what's driving them? I use and whole
24 > heartedly endorse SENAO products and have had very good luck with these
25 > models: ECB-3220 (400 mw) or 2611CB3 PLUS (200 mw) at:
26 > http://www.wlansolution.com. Either unit with the high gain antennas you
27 > have, will penetrate what you stated and probably go pretty high on the
28 > speed scale doing it too.
29
30 Should the adapter itself make a lot of difference when driving an
31 external antenna? I think I'm going to use one of these with my
32 laptop and an external antenna and I may need to pick up weak signals:
33
34 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315075
35
36 Does anyone know of a strong antenna that is more portable than this:
37
38 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833164110
39
40 I'm mainly concerned with how much space it will take up in carry-on luggage.
41
42 - Grant
43 --
44 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list