From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 00:39:16
1 (Replying nowhere in particular)
2
3 This is indeed a bug, but not the ones that have been suggested. The
4 underlying problem is that the DJB programs (mail-mta/netqmail, but
5 also net-dns/djbdns, for example) require a particular service manager.
6 When OpenRC is installed only as a side effect of being listed first in
7 virtual/service-manager, it becomes "redundant" after one of the DJB
8 programs pulls in daemontools, and portage will offer to remove OpenRC.
9
10 That's not really a problem with @system or virtual/service-manager. On
11 a distribution where users are supposed to be able to choose their init
12 systems, a package that requires one specific init system is just a bad
13 fit -- for exactly this reason. So in my view, it's a bug in
14 djbdns/qmail. We should have made them support OpenRC and systemd.
15
16 I am halfway responsible for this, since I maintain djbdns and have
17 never figured out a way to make it work with OpenRC (which would
18 prevent it from pulling in daemontools, which would prevent --depclean
19 from trying to remove OpenRC). But, as the maintainer of djbdns, I can
20 let you in on a secret: don't use djbdns. And if you're not already
21 heavily invested in qmail, postfix is better in every way.
22
23 There's no upstream for these packages so you're unlikely to see any of
24 this fixed, especially when there are better alternatives.
25
26 With all of that said, maybe in the Handbook we should tell OpenRC
27 users to "emerge openrc", in case some other not-mutually-exclusive
28 init system is ever pulled in by another program.