From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Bonehead mistake
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2006 03:31:38
1 Hi,
2
3 After you guys get finished ROTFL, I hope someone can help me out.
4
5 I did a real "bonehead" thing. I *hate* slotted packages. What can I say,
6 I'm a "neat freak". Normally, with the exception of genkernel, if a package
7 is going to install into a new slot, I remove the original and install
8 fresh. That's what I did tonight after syncing, but it was stupid.
9
10 After syncing, I was told that there was a new version of gcc and that it
11 would be installed into a new slot. Yes, I know that gcc is a compiler and
12 that, without a compiler, things just don't want to compile. However, I
13 removed it anyway and even ignored the error message that it was part of my
14 profile and could damage my system.
15
16 So, what's done is done. Is there a way to fix things without having to
17 reinstall my whole system?
18
19 Thanks in advance for your help and I hope I've given you the best laugh
20 you've had for a while! :-)
21
22 Colleen