From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Use split to break up a 10GB file binary?
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:16:29
1 On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Peter Humphrey
2 <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > On Tuesday 21 June 2011 01:28:05 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >
5 >> I get about 8MB/S download but only about 250KB/S upload.
6 >
7 > Should those B's be b's? In other words, bits instead of bytes? Or are you
8 > on something much faster than DSL? In either case the S's ought to be s's.
11 > On ADSL I get about 900KB/s down and 60KB/s up.
12 >
13 > --
14 > Rgds
15 > Peter
16
17 Bytes, not bits. I have two ISPs, Comcast & Verizon. I needed the
18 redundancy as Comcast for a long time was very unreliable. It's been
19 better in the last year. That said Comcast speeds vary a lot based on
20 what I suppose my neighbors are doing as cable modem is a shared
21 interface. The Verizon 3Mbps service speeds are pretty constant.
22
23 Measured this morning using Speakeasy's page with San Francisco as the
24 other end:
25
26 http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
27
28 Comcast cable modem - 22.38Mbps download, 4.27Mbps upload
29 Verizon DSL - 2.89Mbps download, 0.74Mbps upload
30
31 In my home I'm 54Mbps wireless to the Comcast router which might
32 effect things a bit but directly connected to the DSL router. If one
33 goes down I just change a couple of Ethernet cables and start using
34 the other. I suspect that if I went to my wife's machine right now I'd
35 get close to 40Mbps.
36
37 In reality I find that _real_ transfers to other Gentoo computers
38 using rsync typically run around 50% of those numbers averaged over
39 time.
40
41 Point taken about s/S. I didn't know there was an accepted standard to use 's'.
42
43 Cheers,
44 Mark