From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: "Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@××××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] digital camera - Longshot!
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:53:34
1 On 18 Jun 2008, at 18:50, Matthew R. Lee wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I've done a lsusb and got the following info:
4 > Bus 001 Device 003: ID 5354:80e3 [no model or manufacturer info]
5 >
6 > I've looked through various webcam, gentoo-wiki, and V4L sites to
7 > see if those
8 > IDs mean anything, but no luck sofar. I even tried googling them.
9 > Truth is
10 > I'm not sure what they actually refer to.
11
12 I'm more familiar with PCI IDs <http://www.pcidatabase.com/> but
13 presumably USB IDs work the same.
14
15 The one part of the ID belongs to the manufacturer, the other relates
16 to the specific device - eg you can see from the list at <http://
17 www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids> that 03f0:0004 would be a Hewlett-Packard
18 DeskJet 895c.
19
20 Normally when you run `lspci` (and I would imagine `lsusb`) the
21 manufacturer & model are looked up and, instead of the numbers, are
22 shown by name. In your case no-one has submitted your numbers to the
23 database or names to match them.
24
25 AIUI the IDs are picked fairly arbitrarily, so two devices with the
26 same chipset may have completely different numbers. Often (always?)
27 the author of a driver will include a list of supported devices in
28 the driver's header files, and the driver will check to see if any
29 supported devices are present before trying to do any magic.
30
31 Thus it may be that - in fact, I'd imagine it's likely that - your
32 device uses the same chipset as (say) a Logitech webcam or an Apple
33 iSight, but the module isn't autoloaded because the driver doesn't
34 know about it. If you are able to determine the chipset - a Google
35 provides little information, so the obvious way is to open the case
36 with a screwdriver & inspect the identifiers printed on the largest
37 chip on the board - it should be pretty easy to add your device (see,
38 for example, where 3890 is mentioned in line 115 of /usr/src/linux/
39 drivers/net/wireless/prism54/prism54.mod.c and <http://
40 www.pcidatabase.com/vendor_details.php?id=1132>)
41
42 Stroller.