From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge @system causing gcc downgrade
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 20:08:17
1 On 07/03/2017 22:00, White, Phil wrote:
2 > On 7 March 2017 at 19:38, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk
3 > <mailto:neil@××××××××××.uk>> wrote:
6 > Please don't top post, it is disliked on this list.
9 > Sorry - a consequence of moving away from a proper mail client, and on
10 > to a web-based thing.
13 > If you copied over /var/db/pkg you have a rather confused and messed up
14 > system. The safest way to recreate it is probably to move the pkg
15 > directory elsewhere and then run "emerge -e @world".
18 > Yep! I think that would be a polite way of putting it! ;)
21 > gcc is slotted, so emerging 4.9.4 will not touch your 5.4.0
22 > installation,
23 > you use gcc-config to choose which one to use. What does gcc-config -l
24 > show?
27 > Just the one line:
28 > [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.9.4
29 >
30 > I *think*, that with little time and patience, I can now sort this out.
31 > Thanks for the emerge -e hint. It doesn't seem to be in the emerge man
32 > page, though. What is the long-option name?
35 I'm too lazy to look it up myself and long ago stopping trying to
36 remember minutia, but search the man page for "empty". That's where it
37 is :-)
42 Alan McKinnon
43 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com