From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Postfix config and update
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2022 14:42:12
1 On 27/11/2022 13:21, John Blinka wrote:
2 > I’m not a systemd user, so I don’t know precisely what systemd does. But
3 > my /etc/postfix/main.cf <http://main.cf> is a soft link to
4 > “main.cf.works”, which was an unoriginal name for an experimental config
5 > file that worked (as opposed to a series of trial configs that didn’t).
6 > The original main.cf <http://main.cf> is renamed main.cf.orig to keep it
7 > around as an unadulterated reference. Works for me and doesn’t get
8 > clobbered in updates.
9
10 Systemd stores its *distro*supplied* config files in /usr.
11
12 It stores its user-supplied config files in /etc.
13
14 So when your distro updates systemd, it doesn't go anywhere near your
15 local changes.
16
17 Dovecot doesn't do it quite the same way, the default distro config
18 loads a "config.local" file if it exists. So when your distro updates
19 the master config, your local config is untouched.
20
21 Postfix afaik just has one humungous config file, so when your distro
22 updates the config, all your local changes are trashed :-(
23
24 I don't want to faff about with special copies, backups, origs etc.
25 Everything should "just work (tm)".
26
27 Cheers,
28 Wol