From: Corbin Bird <corbinbird@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New install .. no high res console during boot.
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2018 16:24:37
1 On 01/31/2018 07:38 AM, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Setup:
3 > Installing gentoo-17 as guest in Vbox vm on solaris-11 HOST
4 > (openindiana (powered by Illumos))
5 >
6 > VBox 5.6.2
7 > Kernel-4.15.0
8 > grub2
9 >
10 > I'm a litte confused about how to enable a high res framebuffer
11 > console.
12 >
13 > At gentoo pages:
14 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide#Kernel_modesetting
15 >
16 > I've followed the directions there as far as I could.
17 >
18 > lspci on a chroot does not show a driver for the:
19 > Innotek Systemberatung Gmbh VirtualBox Graphics Adapter.
20 >
21 > And I find nothing about Innotek searching with '/' in menuconfig.
22 > So could not make any specific settings like those shows on the gentoo
23 > wiki pages for nVidia and AND/ATI
24 >
25 > Other pages such as https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Fbsplash seem to
26 > indicate I would need to create an initramfs.
27 >
28 > The first page cited near the top of post .. tells you NOT to set some
29 > of the things the citation containing fbsplash (above) tell you to set.
30 >
31 > Such as <*> Userspace VESA VGA
32 > [*] Vesa VGA
33 >
34 > Is something outdate in one of those pages?
35 >
36 > Can someone using the kernel framebuffer explain how to do it on
37 > gentoo guest of vm?
41 .
42 Searched for that "device" and found a few interesting links:
43 > https://askubuntu.com/questions/435940/do-i-need-linux-drivers-for-virtual-box
44 > https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html
45 .
46 If Linux has no access to the actual hardware ... the old "VGA=" hex
47 codes might work :
48 > https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/lilo-vga-modes-152575/
49 I have never tried the codes on "Userspace VESA VGA".
50 Might want to leave that out for a test run.
51
52 .
53 Corbin