From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} backups... still backups....
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2013 15:55:04
1 >> You're welcome. A pull system does rely on the server being secure, which
2 >> is why I don't use it for offsite backups to the cloud :-O
3 >
4 > Wouldn't a push/pull combination be a good compromise?
5 >
6 > The remote servers push their backups to their own location on a staging
7 > server.
8 > The backup-storage server then pulls the backups from there.
9 >
10 > The staging can then be a VM with the real backups being moved onto
11 > host-storage where the VM has no access to.
12 >
13 > This way, when the staging is compromised, only the latest backup can be
14 > accessed.
15 > When the remote server is compromised, only the latest backup can
16 > potentially be overwritten.
17 > But, the actual backups can not be accessed as the host will not have any
18 > outgoing connectivity and when the backups are being pulled, the VM will
19 > be stopped to allow access to the disk containing the backups.
20 >
21 > Following would be the steps:
22 > 1) remote server(s) push backup to the VM
23 > 2) host shuts down VM
24 > 3) host mounts backup-store of VM locally
25 > 4) host takes a backup of the "backup-store"
26 > 5) host starts VM
27 >
28 > By using LVM snapshots, the downtime of the VM can be significantly reduced.
29 > Additionally, the VM OS and software can be restored from a known-good
30 > copy prior to each restart and the VM can be configured to only be running
31 > during the backup-window of the remote systems. This would then
32 > significantly reduce the window of opportunity for any security breach
33 > attempts.
34
35 I think I follow. :) Do you think that would be better than having
36 the clients push to the backup server via rsync, then having the
37 backup server update an rdiff-backup repository that the clients have
38 no access to, then having another system pull from the backup server's
39 rsynced data and create its own rdiff-backup repository? To me that
40 seems like it would have the right combination of security,
41 redundancy, and simplicity.
42
43 - Grant